Thursday, February 18, 2010

for an absent lover

I went through my entire back catalouge of dirty clothes to find the ones that still smell like you. Mixed them with moonlight and the last drops of saltwater until I could imagine the imprint of your body next to mine.

My sweat is as light as the dawn. As light as my declarations and my fears. I avoid sudden movements. I am as the breeze that stalks the leaves. I am holding my breath. I am holding. I am holding everything.

Back into the laundry. I am scrubbing until these thoughts run clean. Until my sleep is settled like sheep that have no need for counting. Until my heart is not doing arthimetic.

Until it is silent as the leaves that stalk the breeze. As silent as moonlight passing through saltwater. As silent as the imprint of yr body next to mine.